Saturday, February 4, 2012

competition cakes in progress

These cakes are for a competition.
They are carved from styrofoam.  The competition contest rules state that you can use non-edible base cakes as long as they could be made of cake.  Since it would take a team of cake artists a Long Time to make these cakes and the rules state that they can only be the work of one artist, I chose to use styrofoam.  So not only can I Make Both cakes but they can make it in one piece and not go bad.  :)

Cake 1: Christmas Story Lamp with a Carmen Miranda twist.  The lamp will actually work, we got a clapper!  Clap on- clap off- The Clapper!


carving the shade out of styrofoam
armature for lamp cake
























































adding "pleated" fondant for the shade
airbrushing shade

airbrushing the grapes......


making fondant and gum paste fruits and flowers for top of lampshade

pineapple! Hand- painted (note the real pineapple in the background for inspiration-it was eaten shortly thereafter....).
not done yet- but getting there....
Cake 2: Maisie the Dragon cake
armature for castle

armature for Maisie

Maisie getting filled out with rice krispie treats-yum!
adding modeling chocolate to her head to smooth it out

she's soooo cute!
covering castle in textured fondant to make it look like stone


turrets

top of turret-see all the marshmallows on the counter behind it- soooo tempting.  Have I  mentioned that I am a sugar-holic?  Do they have a pill or meetings for that?

assembled

on her castle

with tail
Tail fail.  It started to crack!  So it is shored up/patched and drying.  That's a bottle and blue edible pearls holding it up!

Her tiara- because Every girl needs one.
The story of Maisie on a gum-paste scroll. I hand wrote it in calligraphy with a pen and ink (I taught calligraphy to my junior high students for YEARS) then printed it out on my edible ink printer and attached it to the scroll.  I'll add vines and flowers to it next.

My first attempt at sugar work.  These are more 'bling' for Maisie.  They came out kinda sticky feeling-I will try again....lol. She's getting sugar wings too if I can get it right.

No comments: